Mrs. Amanda's Class

Learning Explorations

Destination Imagination!!!!!

April12

16 of my students head to Nashville to participate in the state level DI competition. Teams from all over the state will compete in the team challenges and instant challenges. The Top 2 scoring teams in each challenge will go on to Global Finals at the end of May.
Here are the challenges my teams are competing in with a brief explanation of their project:
Change in Realitee– Improvisational- Cute but Deadly-Christiana Albrecht, Lauren McNealy, Alison Schranz, Becca Schranz, Abby Edwards, Emily Baker- These girls have been working hard on their improv skills over the past four months, completing brief skits given specific scenarios in which they will be given three words to create a slogan and the slogan must become the solution to their problem.
Twist-o-rama– Structural Challenge- The Smart Aleks-Dylan Andrews, Jay Heigel, KJ Malone, Michael Speltz, Zach Wiggins- These boys created a skit in which boys play video games (shocking boys and video games) and the video game console is the structure they created.
Real to Reel– Service Learning- two teams going for the prize in this challenge where they had to create a solution to a community need, carry out their project, and create a movie that documents their project.
Enthusiastic Girls on a Mission– Nithya Achanta, Emma Ketchum, Jada Parker, Raelon Dahmer, Rebecca Garrick- These girls with the help of dental hygienists from Brinks Pediatric Dentistry taught our kindergarteners how to properly care for their teeth. They distributed goody bags to all 150 students containing toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss.
Silent Smiles– Kamrie Coontz, Jackson Dyson, Abigail Heim, Julia Kanawati, Kai Norris, Justin Tilley- Put together “silent smile” bags to provide entertainment and snacks for people receiving chemotherapy at the West Clinic. They raised money for the puzzle books and snacks that created the 150 “silent smile” bags by placing a donation jar at Cafe Med and having a car wash at our school. They received an email that expressed the gratitude of a parent who’s son was given one of the “silent smile” bags during his chemo treatment that still brings tears to my eyes.
Other teams from Riverwood include: The Tie- Dye Ninjas, DI Dogs

A special thanks to all the Team Managers who have been meeting with these guys all the time to help ensure their success: Valerie Schranz, Candy Tilley, Amy Coontz, Toya Jones, Marnie Stewart, Krishna Andrews, Becky Wiggins, Debbie Phillips, Brandy Russell

All of Riverwood teams have done an incredible job meeting the requirements of their challenge! Good luck to all my unbelievably talented and creative students!

by posted under General | 7 Comments »    
7 Comments to

“Destination Imagination!!!!!”

1. April 24th, 2013 at 8:34 pm       Emmy Says:

Good Luck Guys(and Gals)!

MISS YOU! ♫ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♩ 🙂

2. May 15th, 2013 at 6:17 pm       Mary Says:

Hi Mrs. Nixon.
    The school year is almost over. Ahhh! My brother is going to start kindergarten at Riverwood. Miss being in 5th grade.
    Mary.

3. May 25th, 2013 at 7:13 pm       205isabelle Says:

I’m kinda jealous that they did better than us. 🙁 But great job winning global!! ( i think they did) 😀 I wished that they had D.I in CMS.

4. June 16th, 2013 at 4:45 pm       Lauren Says:

Hey Mrs.Nixon! School hasn’t started yet, but I still miss being in 5th grade. I have some great news….. I’M ACCEPTED TO WHITE STATION. Well, wish me luck! I’ll miss you!

By the way my blog’s name is laurenrocks.edublogs.org
    Your contest winner,
    Lauren McNealy

5. June 21st, 2013 at 4:37 pm       Marshalia Montgomery Says:

Hey. Mrs.nixon. remember me from delano. I was hoping we could reunite. Lol you are my favorite teacher til this day. If you still have my number call or text me. I would really love to catch up.

6. June 27th, 2013 at 12:51 pm       Amanda Nixon Says:

I can’t believe you think I would ever forget you Marshalia! After all you did teach me how to do the jerk (sort of). I miss you also!

7. June 27th, 2013 at 12:52 pm       Amanda Nixon Says:

Lauren that is awesome about White Station and you don’t need any luck- you are such a great student- they are lucky to have you!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar