After reading Chapter 5- “It was our Duty” in An American Plague, I want you to create a headline for each chapter that you have read so far. Write a short “news story” to accompany the headline. Based on what we have read about the economy during this time, create an advertisement for your newspaper. We will add a new article for each chapter of the book.
In your vocabulary workstation, create a table with the headings: word, part of speech, definition, synonym, antonym in Google Docs. Use this website to find the information for each vocabulary word from An American Plague- Merriam-Webster Dictionary. When you finish, be sure to move the document to your folder.
Vocabulary Words: pestilence, scrupulousness, malicious, conspiring, valiantly, ingenuity, daunting, condemned, quinine, and exorbitant
Preview Fever 1793. Be prepared to discuss these questions.
1. Look at both books and compare the title and subtitle of each chapter.
2. How are they similar? Why do you think the authors chose include a quote from a first-hand account?
3. Why do you think Anderson began each chapter with a date? Does Murphy include dates at the beginnings of his chapters?
4. Anderson wrote Fever 1793 as a journal, what does this tell you about the story before you begin reading?
5. Having read An American Plague, does it seem that Anderson conducted research before writing her story? What does that tell us about the genre of the book?